Atcham

View archive gallery

Local Sponsors

More information

Many thanks to the The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel for facilitating this camera's location and to the Severn Rivers Trust for capitally funding its installation.  The first  bridge built at Atcham over the river Severn (England's longest river) was constructed between 1200 and 1222 by the Abbot of Lilleshall. The Abbot demanded a Toll of One Penny for every laden cart which passed over the bridge. This lead to a legal dispute with the Townspeople of Shrewsbury.

A gentleman by the name of Leland passed over the bridge at Atcham in 1540 which he described as 'a fayre stone bridge on the Severn to pass towards the Roman remains of Wroxeter'. During the Civil War in 1642 there was a stone bridge at Atcham comprising 18 arches. This bridge was fortified by the Royalists.

In 1768 the bridge was destroyed by ice and the magnificent disused bridge, which is still standing, was constructed by John Gwynne, a famous Shrewsbury architect. The present bridge at Atcham was constructed in 1929.